Saturday, January 12, 2013

"Ghost Ship" photographed off of Guernsey Island UK


Alderney holidaymaker Bill Cook, accompanied by his wife, took these pictures of a seemingly ghostly small three-masted vessel close to the island’s coast just before Christmas. Any person who can shed light on the ship is asked to email editor@ alderneyjournal.com.

IS THIS the ghost of the famous Elizabethan ship that floundered off Alderney in 1592?

Alderney holidaymaker Bill Cook photographed the spectre-like vessel on Wednesday 19 December as it headed towards the breakwater.

Mr Cook was on a drive around the island with his wife.

‘It was a misty day and quite atmospheric and my wife asked me to stop the car so she could take a picture of the lighthouse,’ said Mr Cook.

‘She was just using her point-and-shoot camera and said she could see something at sea.

‘I got my camera out and zoomed in on it and I could make out a small three-masted vessel hugging the coast.

‘We watched it for a while as it made its way to the breakwater and towards Guernsey, passing a Condor ferry on the way.’

Mr Cook suggested it could be The Matthew, a replica of the 15th-century ship that took John Cabot from Bristol to Newfoundland.

‘When I got back I noticed it wasn’t docked, so I thought it could be the one I saw.’

But doubts persist. Enquiries to the organisation that runs the Matthew for corporate and public trips have not yielded a response, and the vessel did not stop at Guernsey or Alderney, according to harbour authorities.

Was it a ghost ship?

Source: This is Guernsey

No comments: